Whether you’re trying to learn English, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Japanese, Chinese, Italian –you get the picture – it’s good to get free help along the way. Luckily, there are tons of free online resources out there.
Here are 75 to get you started …
1. 101Languages.net – Learn basics like vowels, consonants, phrases and vocabulary for various languages like Arabic, Bambara, Cebuano, Estonian, Icelandic, Latvian and Serbian.
2. 123TeachMe.com – 123TeachMe offers free learning materials, including games, quizzes, vocabulary builders, mp3 study lists, RSS vocabulary lists and more for adults and children.
3. About.com – About.com offers access to various free language resources for French, Spanish and English.
4. AKTub.com – This site offers a free web-based Arabic typing tutor with a ton of cool features.
5. Apples4theTeacher.com–Free foreign language and American Sign Language resource for children.
6. AskOxford.com – Free language learning resources for French, German and Spanish are available including interactive exercises, sample material from dictionaries and more.
7. BabelNation.com – Free site that offers online language courses in Spanish, French, German, Italian and Portuguese.
8. BBC.co.uk – BBC offers free audio and video courses in French, German, Spanish, Greek, Chinese and more, as well as beginner’s courses.
9. BellEnglish.com – Free language-learning activities and games with a no-fee registration.
10. Byki.com – The site allows you to download free language-learning software to help you with over 70 languages right on your desktop.
11. Chinese-Outpost.com – Take free Chinese courses, find tutorials and utilize additional directories to learn the Chinese language.
12. DigitalDialects.com – Digital Dialects offers free use of interactive games to help learn nearly 60 languages.
13. Edufind.com – Resource for free access to language courses, online tests, software and language blogs.Videos
14. EFLWorksheets.com – This English language-learning tool offers free worksheets and online exercises.
15. EffectiveLanguageLearning.com – A ton of free language lessons (tips and strategies) for Chinese, French, German, Italian and Spanish.
16. eLanguage.com – While the site isn’t completely free, it does offer free resources for various languages, including grammar guides.
17. eLanguageSchool.net – A huge resource for learning multiple languages, including Dutch, French, Japanese, Russian, Spanish, Korean and German.
18. EnglishBanana.com – Games, quizzes and additional links to help learn the English language.
19. Engoi.com – This site offers free exercises, games and online instruction to increase vocabulary retention.
20. ESLGold.com – ESLGold.com helps you practice the English language via their vocabulary pages, exercises, examples, quizzes, and even a few study buddies.
21. ESLMonkeys.com – Tools for those learning English as a second language, including free lessons, books, videos, quizzes, flash cards and interactive programs.
22. ExamEnglish.com – You can test your English language skills if you’re learning the language or studying for tests like the IELTS, TOEFL, CPE, CAE, FCE or PET.
23. Fonetiks.org – Find online pronunciation guides to varieties of the English language and nine other languages.
24. Forvo.com – A word pronunciation dictionary that offers words as pronounced by their native speakers.
25. FreeLang.net – Take advantage of free dictionaries, human translation and other useful resources to help you learn a number of languages.
26. FreeLanguage.org – This site offers videos, podcasts, written tutorials and more to learn over 30 languages, including Luxembourgish, Mandarin, Polish, Tagalog and Swahili.
27. Goethe-Verlag.com – Goethe-Verlag offers free language tests for such languages as Estonian, Polish, Russian, Serbian, Swedish, Czech, Croatian, Turkish, Arabic and Dutch.
28. Google Language Tools – While these tools don’t teach a language like the other sites, it does provide very handy translation options.
29. GuidetoJapanese.com – Basic guides to teach Japanese language grammar.
30. 1-Language.com – Free access to materials and resources that help learn the English language like flash games, word searches, language courses and a reading library.
31. ILUSS.it – Offers access to free online courses and resources for the self-learner who wants to study the Italian language.
32. InternetPolyglot.com – Tutorial slide shows, lessons by pictures and sounds, word translation assistance and games to help learn languages.
33. iTalki.com – Offers access to language teachers, language-exchange partners, discussion groups and other free resources for several languages, including English, Chinese, French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian and Hindi.
34. JapaneseLinks.net – List of mostly free links to websites that teach the Japanese language.
35. Languageguide.org – Free sound integrated resources to learn language basics like numbers, time, greetings and more.
36. Language-Learning-Advisor.com – This language-learning guide offers access to resources for dozens of languages, as wells aids, books, movies, music and more.
37. LanguageLearningLibrary.org – This site offers lessons for basics like grammar, common phrases, numbers, time and more in a number of languages.
38. LanguagesHome.com – This is a resource of translations from English to dozens of languages.
39. LearnEnglish.org.uk – Great site for both adults and kids to learn the English language through games and theme-based activities.
40. Learn-Korean.net – Learn the Korean language via free learning tools to help you speak and write.
41. LearningThai.com- Tons of free lessons and additional resources to help you learn the Thai language.
42. LingQ.com – This site offers free access to downloads, vocabulary assistance, a personal tutor and a live community. Must sign up for free account.
43. Linguanaut.com – Take advantage of free videos, phrases, alphabet and more for over 50 languages.
44. LiveandLearnLanguages.com – Podcasts, audio lessons, courses and dictionary reviews are available free of charge for dozens of languages.
45. LiveMocha.com – This site includes courses in 30 languages (over 160 lessons for each), helpful tips from native speakers and conversational learning lessons.
46. MangoLanguages.com – Mango is a free resource that teaches actual conversation skills for 12 different languages.
47. MultilingualBooks.com – This site offers free access to a variety of online courses and lessons for languages like Russian, Arabic, Dutch, Dari, Korean and Portuguese.
48. MyHappyPlanet.com – My Happy Planet connects users from around the world and allows them to send and receive messages to help learn respective languages from native tongues.
49. MyLanguageExchange.com – Find a partner within this online community to help you practice your second language with a native speaker who is learning your language.
50. NativLang.com – Learn to read and write English, Greek, Portuguese, French, Spanish, Latin and more.
51. Omniglot.com – This is a free language-learning resource that offers help with grammar, pronunciation, vocabulary, writing skills, phrases and more.
52. OnlineFreeSpanish.com – Free games, music, activities and lessons to help learn the Spanish language.
53. OpenCulture.com – Free language resources, including lessons you can download to your mp3 player offered for 37 languages.
54. Parlo.com – While the site isn’t entirely free, it does offer one or two free courses each month at no cost.
55. Phrasebase.com – This is a free social networking site offering access to international language exchange partners.
56. Single-Serving.com – Learn essential phrases and words for travel, print them and even store them in an mp3 player to listen to them anywhere.
57. SinoSplice.com – This site teaches Mandarin Chinese language and offers correct pronunciation, vocabulary lists and more.
58. SpanishPrograms.com – Gain access to several free Spanish lessons and tutorials.
59. SpanishUnlimited.com – Learn Spanish then test your level with the language test divided into levels for those ranging from beginners to advanced.
60. SpeakOz.com– Learn the English language through a number of podcasts, videos, ebooks, dictionaries and articles.
61. StudySpanish.com- Free Spanish tutorials offered to help with vocabulary, grammar, pronunciation and verbs. Travel guides and cultural notes also available.
62. TalkEnglish.com – Helps develop spoken English for business, travel and interviewing purposes.
63. TextKit.com – This site offers free resources to help you learn Ancient Greek and Latin.
64. Transcon.info – This site offers free text and audio content for current phrases in Africa, Iraq and other areas of the Middle East.
65. Transparent.com – Transparent offers a number of language-learning products, including free software to download, articles, games and a language-learning community you can join.
66. UniLang.org – UniLang offers tons of free resources, including language courses, videos, audio and podcasts, phrasebooks, stories, games, articles and other exercises.
67. UniversitiesandColleges.org – This free language resource offers podcasts, online college courses, iPhone/iPod Touch applications, and access to general language-learning sites.
68. VerbaLearn.com – Verba Learn helps people who want to improve their English vocabulary.
69. VistaWide.com – Free online dictionaries, translators, verb conjugators, lessons, courses and practical applications for those wanting to learn numerous languages.
70. Vocabulary.co.il – Fun games and activities to help build your English language vocabulary.
71. Vocabulix.com – This free tool offers over 90 predefined vocabulary lessons and allows you to create your own foreign language lessons to share with others.
72. WebGerman.com – Access to free online television from around the world as well as language picture dictionaries, language-learning libraries and more.
73. WomenLearnThai.com – Thai language learning courses, as well as other resources to help learn the language.
74. Word2Word.com – Word2Word.com is a free resources that offers access to help with over 115 languages, including links to online courses and other resources.
75. World-English.org – This site offers tons of resources for learning the English language, including tests, top English words, slang, fun facts, games and vocabulary.